Sunday 1 June 2014

Reflection43 (relax)

Relax
 
Yesterday I met in a restaurant in Brussels Robert, a real 'Brusselaar' (that is what inhabitants of Brussels are called in the local language). We were talking and along the way he asked what was the difference between Belgium and Malaysia (where I live and work)

Of course the weather was one of the things that came to my mind. I can eat breakfast outside of my house virtually every day of the year. He wanted to know beyond that. A quick thought made me talk about the different levels of stress people experienced.

In the rural area where I live (Kelantan) the pace of live is very different. People are generally much more relaxed than in European cities. I remember standing in front of the traffic light and somehow I searched for a key in one of the compartments between the two front seats. Suddenly I looked up and the light had turned green already. I looked in my rear view mirror and the cars behind me were just patiently waiting for me to start driving, which I immediately did. This is no exception. In traffic generally if you are slow, other drivers accept, if you are in a hurry, they equally accept.

Also the happiness about simple facts of life. I just give the next story which illustrates perhaps in a great way the difference:

One day a rich American was walking along the sunny beach during his vacation to a tropical resort. He met with a fisherman who lay relaxing next to his boat. He talked to the fisherman for a while and then asked: why are you not out fishing, this is only the middle of the day?
The fisherman replied: I have caught enough fish for today. 
The rich man replied: How can have caught enough? perhaps if you went out and catch some more you could sell the extra fish. 
Fisherman: and then?
Rich man: then you could perhaps buy a better boat and catch more fish still to sell
Fisherman: and then?
Rich man: then you could get rich like me and enjoy your life, like I am doing now.
Fisherman: what do you think I am doing now. I fully enjoy my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, do you disagree, please comment...