Monday 5 December 2016

The golden egg

Back in 2010, I fractured one vertebra (a bone in my spine).
I was confined to lying down in a supine position for three months.
Even reading was not easy to do in this position,
so I started listening to audiobooks.
In one audiobook, I heard the poem, eternity by William Blake.
I liked the poem so much that I looked it up on the internet.
This brought me to the website poemhunter.
I wanted to comment on the poem, but I had first to register.
In the registration process it became clear that we could post our own poems there too.

Not much later I was sitting (lying) outside and a little purple flower caught my eye.
I took a picture of it and not much later my very first poem in the English language was born:
little purple flower. The comments I received were so encouraging. I wrote a few more poems in the following weeks. I wrote them actually for my sons. Somehow they do not show too much interest in my poetry even if I directly show it to them. Hope some day, they will enjoy. While waiting for them to enjoy I hope, you will enjoy the following one which gave me a smile, when I read it back this evening:

The golden egg


Suppose you had a goose,
A goose that would produce
A golden egg a day
You wouldn’t want to lose
That special golden goose
You’d care for it in every way

Now something of more incredible worth
Was given to each of us at birth
We ‘ve got a worthy thinking brain
If positive, loving thoughts we’d feed it
Yes that is really all that’s needed
Just think of all the golden eggs to gain

If we keep up with doom and hateful thinking
Consuming drugs, excessive drinking
Getting stressed about any item in the news
Neglect good deeds and thoughts of pure
We can count on it, perfectly sure
That we will lose our brain as golden goose

Let’s feed our brain with all the best
Positive thoughts, lofty aims, a loving chest
Let’s focus on God’s way, forget the rest
Search daily for some goodness in the news
And sure your brain, just like the goose
A golden egg a day it will produce

3 comments:

  1. '...they do not show too much interest in my poetry even if I directly show it to them.'

    Perhaps you should send for "peer review (by their peers)" first before publishing in their world. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I never thought I would be on the other side of the generation gap. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing this excellent info! I am looking forward to seeing more posts by you as soon as possible! I have judged that you do not compromise on quality. gold coast towbars

    ReplyDelete

Do you agree, do you disagree, please comment...